½ tsp crushed garlic
1 chicken egg
3 g (3 medium-large) prawns
1/8 cup bean sprouts
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp fish sauce
2 tsp crushed shallots
½ tsp chili powder
40 g (1/2 cup) rice noodles
1/8 cup chives or baby leek
3 tbsp water
¼ cup hard tofu
1 tsp palm sugar
1 tbsp dried shrimp
2 tsp tamarind paste
½ tbsp crushed roasted peanuts
1 tsp pickled radish diced
A Chef LeeZ group class favorite dish. Interesting though Pad Thai is an imported dish from china where Thais have reduced the amount of noodles and few other pepper changes to make it accepted as an original Thai recipe.
Rating: 1 person
Servings size: 1 person
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
1. Clean shrimp by removing the shell and head then slice down the middle of the back then remove the center vein (black thread-like).
2. If using pre-cooked noodles rinse the rice noodles with water. If using dried noodles soak in hot water 5 minutes, then rinse with cool water, set aside.
3. Combine fish sauce, sugar ,tamarind, and water into small bowl
4. Place a wok with oil over medium heat, add shallot, garlic and tofu, pickled radish and dried shrimp, stir-fry until smell aroma.
5. Now add prawns, the combined fish sauce, sugar, tamarind, and water (from Step 3), and fry until the prawns are white and pink.
6. Add rice noodles ; stir noodles with corner of spatula so you don’t cut the noodles into small pieces
7. Move noodles to one side of the pan, pour beaten egg on the open side of the pan, move egg around the pan by lifting the egg side of the pan and slowly rotate the pan, the egg will flow along the edge of the pan to the lower end of the pan. Keep the pan close to the heat so that the thin egg cooks quickly around the edge of the pan. As soon as the egg is cooked (changes color), add Chinese chives and bean sprouts,
8. Fold cooked egg and noodles together.
9. Remove from pan when chives have changed color (vibrant darker green) and serve.
Crushed roasted peanuts, chili powder, raw bean sprouts and lime wedge can be served on the side.